- Imperiled Promise: The State of History in the National Park Service (Anne Mitchell Whisnant with Marla R. Miller, Gary Nash, and David Thelen), Organization of American Historians/National Park Service, 2011.
- Shenandoah National Park visitor handbook (cultural history sections). Project dates: October 2009 – September 2010. Contracted with Donning Company Publishers for the Shenandoah National Park Association. Honorable mention, 2012 Association of Partners for Public Lands Media & Partnership Award, Non-Partner Published Work.
- Cape Lookout National Seashore Historic Resource Study “Gateway to the Atlantic: Cape Lookout National Seashore Historic Resource Study”), under contract with the National Park Service through the Organization of American Historians. Project dates: January 2008 – February 2010. (Still in press at the National Park Service Southeast Regional Office as of spring 2014).
- DeSoto National Memorial administrative history (“Small Park, Large Issues: De Soto National Memorial and the Commemoration of a Difficult History,”) under contract with the National Park Service through the Organization of American Historians. Project dates: May 2006 – December 2007.
- Peer reviews of three NPS administrative histories contracted by the Organization of American Historians, 2013, 2007 and 2004.
- Peer review of draft Historic Resource Study, Blue Ridge Parkway, Fall 2006.
- First new history of the Blue Ridge Parkway to be published in more than thirty years: Super-Scenic Motorway: A Blue Ridge Parkway History(University of North Carolina Press, 2006).