African-American Historic Resources Study 2017-19
Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site, National Park Service
- Historic Resource Study focused on African-American history at the Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site, Flat Rock, NC.
- Two-year contract with the National Park Service and the Organization of American Historians.
Portsmouth Village National Register Documentation 2017-19
Cape Lookout National Seashore, National Park Service
- Project to enhance documentation of African-American history in the Portsmouth Village National Register nomination (originally listed 1978). Anne Whisnant is Principal Investigator. Co-investigators are Dr. Lynn Harris (East Carolina University) and Dr. Kristen Baldwin Deathridge (Appalachian State University).
- Two-year contract with the National Park Service via the Piedmont South Atlantic CESU and East Carolina University.
- Imperiled Promise: The State of History in the National Park Service (Anne Mitchell Whisnant with Marla R. Miller, Gary Nash, and David Thelen), Organization of American Historians/National Park Service, 2011.
- Shenandoah National Park visitor handbook (cultural history sections). Project dates: October 2009 – September 2010. Contracted with Donning Company Publishers for the Shenandoah National Park Association. Honorable mention, 2012 Association of Partners for Public Lands Media & Partnership Award, Non-Partner Published Work.
- Cape Lookout National Seashore Historic Resource Study “Gateway to the Atlantic World: Cape Lookout National Seashore Historic Resource Study“), under contract with the National Park Service through the Organization of American Historians. Project dates: January 2008 – February 2010. Published 2015.
- DeSoto National Memorial administrative history (“Small Park, Large Issues: De Soto National Memorial and the Commemoration of a Difficult History,”) under contract with the National Park Service through the Organization of American Historians. Project dates: May 2006 – December 2007.
- Peer reviews of three NPS administrative histories contracted by the Organization of American Historians, 2013, 2007 and 2004.
- Peer review of draft Historic Resource Study, Blue Ridge Parkway, Fall 2006.
- First new history of the Blue Ridge Parkway to be published in more than thirty years: Super-Scenic Motorway: A Blue Ridge Parkway History (University of North Carolina Press, 2006).